Saturday, April 6, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen....your credit card please!

I want to personally thank the Rolling Stones for the obscene ticket prices on their upcoming tour. By relinquishing their cheapest seats for a mere $250 each, they have helped validate what I am trying to do with this blog. Did you know that same total you can see about 16 shows (at an average $15) in the Beet Seeking Missile price range.

As a lifelong Stones fan, I continue to have a strong affinity for the band. I think their influence is especially prevalent in today's music. But it's sheer madness to fork over that much dough to see any band, regardless of the fact they haven't put out a good album in over 20 years. That's not the point. We all know these guys are icons and long ago achieved their deserved place in the Pantheon of Rock Gods.
But to pay that price is to feed into the mentality that has driven up concert ticket prices over the past two decades, ever since the Eagles started routinely charging over $100 per ticket. And don't get me started on the Eagles.
Why not instead check out a bunch of new groups? None may become the next Rolling Stones, but you may end up with a substantial amount more satisfaction than you would have by blowing that hard-earned cash and you just might find an up and coming band that you really, really like. Don't spend your music budget in vain.


 



1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Back in the Good Ol' Days (tm), bands made money on their recorded music and lost money or broke even on touring. Touring was what they did to advertise themselves, so people would buy their records. Now it seems the equation is reversed, with the recorded music (if there is any) second place to revenue from touring. The result? I used to go to tons of concerts, sometimes to see bands that I was so-so about, and sometimes I'd become a fan based on a band's live performance. Now I don't even go see bands I really like (except for Def Leppard - I have to see them!), because they've priced me out of the market.

    ReplyDelete